Saturday, August 08, 2020

Johnny Williams and His Hot Spot

First off, I must acknowledge that I've taken more time than usual (maybe than ever) between posts. I only posted twice in July. I'm hoping to not have this happen again.

 I have now returned to correcting/updating formerly broken links, and in my reverse chronological order pattern, I have now repaired posts from September of 2012, including a nearly unique Halmark entry - featuring a guitar and vocal specialty on one side! - a clever and funny Gene Marshall record, an early Real Pros 45 featuring their one-man-band performer on one side and Rodd Keith on the other, and another Rodd Keith record (as Rod Rogers), on the tiny Lutone label.

 And NOW!!!!



I may have mentioned a few times - such as every time I post one of his records - how much I love Johnny Williams and his decidedly unprofessional, off the cuff sounding and barely in control vocal style. So every time I manage to put my hands on one of his records, it's a sure bet that it will end up here within a few days or weeks.

And while today's offering is not perhaps among his masterpieces, it's close enough. As you can see above, it's got a superbly catchy titled, "I've Got a Hot Spot In My Heart For You", and it's got everything I could want from Johnny - a hyperactive guitar intro, a fun, bouncy backing, simple, but effective lyrics and a highly energized vocal from the lead singer, who as usual sounds like a 70 year old man who is missing some of his teeth.

 I really have to wonder what Tin Pan Alley was thinking in employing this guy, and putting him in front of almost comically revved up backing. What's more, I would love to know what the customers thought, upon hearing Mr. Williams' interpretation of their lyrical submissions.

On the other hand, it's true that Tin Pan Alley generally did a better job of superficially capturing the trends of the day in real time than most song-poem labels, and that by this point (this record is from around 1959) some rock and roll was getting fairly silly and at times frantic - this record does capture a bit of the energy of a record like "Wear My Ring Around Your Neck" - if little of the talent or quality. But even compared with the hit records I'm thinking of, this is just over-the-top weird and ridiculous. And man, do I love it. 

Download: Johnny Williams - I've Got a Hot Spot In My Heart For You
Play:

As I've also said before, I do not, however, believe that Johnny Williams was a singer capable of effectively putting forward a vocal on a ballad and/or on material requiring sensitive feelings. And that's what we have on the flip side "You Went Away". He is, typically, completely over his head. Also, what is that groaning sound that recurs at several points here - it sounds sort of like the bass, or its amp, is malfunctioning. Any guesses?

 Download: Johnny Williams - You Went Away
 Play:


4 comments:

Jim. said...

Hello! I found your blog while researching a Rodd Keith 7”. The songs are - just an evening dear with you/that’s livin. It’s on the preview records label. Have you seen this pop up anywhere? Thanks!

Darryl W. Bullock said...

That noise is peculiar, isn't it? To me it sounds like a cross between backing vocals and feedback. Maybe it's a bit of both?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a not-adequately-miked bass violin to me.

JW said...

Bob I just want to point out that you have TWO versions of "I've Got A Hot Spot In My Heart" on your blog, and I'm not sure if you noticed! I know I didn't! This song was (i presume) originally done on Film-Tone!
https://bobpurse.blogspot.com/2012/02/great-films-great-tones.html

Same song, same writer....two completely different arrangements!