Tuesday, August 18, 2020

When "Your" Ready - Be My Steady

Good Day, Y'all!

As usual, I have re-purposed another month's worth of posts, in this case, posts from exactly eight years ago this month, August of 2012. What a different world it was then. 

I actually made five posts that month - those were the days - and have repaired all of them. These include: A scratchy but very enjoyable Norm Burns record, a Sammy Marshall record with a very famous title, a Mike Thomas/Tin Pan Alley special with a ridiculous title, one of the last couple of records (and a terrible one, too) put out my Norridge Mayhams, and a bouncy, countrified Rodd Keith and the Raindrops number

And speaking of Rodd Keith: 


It has been quite a while since I featured Rodd Keith, in any of his guises, and that's why I turned to my pile of Roddeliciousness and selcted a platter from around 1964 or 1965. "When Your (sic) Ready - Be My Steady" features a frothy Chamberlin track, a Rodd-and-Rodd duet, and some cutesy lyrics that feature all of the most obvious rhymes possible.

An interesting sidelight here is that the song-poet, who wrote both sides of this record, covered up the publishing information with his own name. It's also not clear to me at all why they wouldn't have chosen to correct the song-poet's spelling...

Download: Rod Rogers and the Swinging Strings - When Your Ready - Be My Steady
Play:

The flip side, "Harbor of Love" is a down-tempo thing, which drags on and on, seeming to be much more than the 30 seconds longer than it is, compared to its fun flip side. This is only moderate on the Unctuous-Rodd scale, but it's too far up that ladder for my tastes.

Download: Rod Rogers and the Swinging Strings - Harbor of Love
Play:


1 comment:

Stu Shea said...

Well, side one's a treat, anyway! What an appealing sound. Thank you for posting!
stu