Sunday, January 30, 2022

Norman's Lullaby

As we bid goodbye to January, 2022, it's time for one more post this month. 

But first, in my ongoing quest to return this blog to its natural state, I have updated two more posts, and in doing so, completed nearly everything going back to the start 2006, meaning everything but the 2005 posts, and two complicated later posts have now been repaired. 

This required the fixing of two posts. First up, and rather redundantly at this point, was my first posting of a pair of tracks by Merigail Moreland, which later were a centerpiece of a longer post I did at WFMU. But for the same of completion, I thought I'd update that post. Plus, they are two of my favorite recordings ever. 

The other post I "fixed" is, happily, a post featuring at least one, and possibly two, song-poems. It was the second time I had done that on this blog, well before I turned most of it over to song-poems. In that post, I featured a ridiculous Phil Celia track, and an oddball number (possibly more of a vanity record than a song-poem) by Barney Spencer. I also featured a track by The Eligibles on Fable, a track which I'm sure was either a vanity release or an attempt at hit making, and not a song-poem. 

Speaking of Merigail Moreland, I did, a few years ago, manage to find one more single that she released, in the early 1960's .If anyone reading this blog has an interest in hearing that single, I'll be glad to share it. It seems to be even more impossibly rare than the one I shared in the post linked, above. 

And now: 


Today's feature is perhaps a minor pleasure, but I deeply enjoy Norm Burns, and I haven't featured him in over six months. 

Here's Norm, or as he was billed here (and as he was for only a brief time, early in his tenure at Sterling), Norman Burns, with "A Mother's Lullaby". The Sterling Band provides their sterling sound, and Norman croons a sweet lyric about a mother singing her baby to sleep. There is a nostalgic, old timey feel to the whole production which I find appealing. 

Download: Norman Burns - A Mother's Lullaby

Play:

~~

For the flip side, here's what I'm guessing: someone looked at the title, 'Just Give Me a Home in the Mountains", and was reminded of the song "Home on the Range", and decided that the tune of this song would bear more than a slight resemblance to that great American folk song. Seriously, see if you can listen to this track and not be put in the mind of "Home on the Range". 

Norm gives it the old college try, but there's not much here to work with. 

Download: Norman Burns - Just Give Me a Home in the Mountains

Play:


~~

And now, another "Cut-Up". In case you didn't see my last post, here's part of what I wrote: 

Recently, I linked back to a very old post in which I'd shared two of my "cut-ups", tracks made in which I played around with the sounds and lyrics of favorite songs, replacing lyrics with words or lyrics from other recordings, or simply messing around with the sounds of a track. 95% of more of those "cut-ups" that I have, I made as a young adult, while in college and/or single, and with a LOT of time on my hands, doing all of the edits on a cassette recorder which had a very effective pause button. 
I have been requested to share more of these, and will do so, at least until I gauge whether there is continued interest, or, perhaps, people ask me to stop. 
I will continue with the Beatles theme I started with last time. However, this one is totally different, and more in keeping with my typical practice, which was to replace lyrics of one song with sung or spoken words from another recording, sometimes a song, sometimes someone speaking. 
Before sharing this "cut-up", I will offer a few warnings. 
1.) This is extremely not safe for work - there are multiple four letter words contained herein. 
2.) A few of the jokes created by my cutting things up are fairly crude in nature, and if you find such things unpleasant, you may want to skip listening to it. 
Last week, I featured a song from the Beatles first album. Now, I jump to near the end of their career, for a dismantling of "Yer Blues", from The White Album. 

Download: The Beatles - Yer Blues (cut-up)

Play:

2 comments:

Stu Shea said...

"And I am Ron Selle..." HAHAHAHAHAHA

Ron Selle!

I am very pleased with these two Norman Burns songs! The lyricist...she had some nice things happening. The a-side backing is superb, and the island-y back-beat is inspiration itself. Thank you for posting this!

Anonymous said...

Oh, why don't you give us that other Merigail record? I'm curious.