Wednesday, July 22, 2015

That Broken Guitar Plays Pretty Well

Hello again,
I had a few comments from Mac users that downloading was the only option that the new system I'm using allowed them. I believe I've rectified this, but may have to tinker with it a bit. There are now two versions of each track - the first which will either play or download for non-Mac users, and the other of which will be an opendrive player, which will only play within the blog post. Please let me know if this is working.
Here we have the truly tiny Fanwood Records label. My guess is that there are at least a few other discs out there on Fanwood, but this is the only one I've ever seen, and the only one documented on the song-poem database website. It features my choice as the best female song-poem singer, Cara Stewart, and her constant musical companion, Lee Hudson, here heard with his fictional String Band. The records Cara and Lee made together are just lovely, and this one, "Broken Guitar", is no exception, although having the backing track dominated by a clearly not-broken-guitar doesn't quite fit the lyric, now does it? Given that this was Lee's style, however, I'm not sure what else he would have done.
From the flip side comes the excessively wordy title, "May the Angels Watch Over You For Me". This one is a bit slower than the flip, but otherwise very much cut from the same cloth. I have almost no doubt that if I'd sent my lyrics in to Lee Hudson, I would have been quite pleased with the results. Relax, stretch out, close your eyes, and let the sound of Cara and Lee wash over you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob, I'm sorry to report that I am unable to download. I am on a PC. I've tried clicking on it, right clicking on it....all to no avail. Too bad, because I'm dying to hear Cara!!

Bob Purse said...

Hi,
The files seem to have gotten corrupted somehow. It was working earlier. I will have to mess with this when I get home.

Bob

Bob Purse said...

The problem appears to have been at Opendrive's end. I have reuploaded the songs and they should now work.

Bob

Anonymous said...

They do! Thanks!

At last, a song to express our feelings whenever we see a broken guitar!!!! Ha!

Timmy said...

Well.
That's all, just: well... I cannot express the delight of hearing a sweetly picked electric guitar accompanying Ms. Stewart, who sounds, to me, as though she'd had a couple too many, trying to sing in anything but a flat key, but alas, she could only sing flatly, as angels fly off that guitar, and try desperately to attack her with messianic swords ablaze, in a last ditch effort to quell her sultry & yet somehow disillusioned voice from ever being breathed.
And, as far as technical efforts goes; here's my predicament: I cannot get the Cloud "player" to function. However, I can right click the titles written above said Cloud and that allows me to either play or save the two absolutely wonderful songs posted here, and for that, I once again thank you.
Carry on!

Bob said...

Both tracks posted by Bob Bradley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJRqrIHmgXg