Monday, February 15, 2021

Sammy Rocks Again!

Happy Snow-Covered Presidents' Day!

I have, as usual, updated another month's worth of posts, in today's case, those from TEN YEARS AGO, February of 2011. Time flies. You can't, they go too quickly. 

Anyway, those posts I have corrected today include a dreamy Cara Stewart number, a nice, really heartfelt offering from Gene Marshall, a goofy late era Tin Pan Alley record, and another Vietnam-related number from Rodd Keith, a sequel of sorts to "The Ballad of the Green Berets". 

And now, for your dining and dancing pleasure.....


I don't have a lot of time to write today, but I will say that I didn't have a lot of hope for the Sammy Marshall record, "Just Like a Jet Plane", on the tiny Brosh label (which released both song-poem and non-song-poem material). Neither title on this 45 suggested that it would be anything special. But I was delighted to find that the record was actually one of Sammy's fairly rare and always entertaining early '60's style rockers, bouncy and fun from start to finish. 

I hope you think so, too! 

Play:  

The flip side, "Yellow Gold" is bouncy in its own way, a loping ballad of the 49ers. I'm not sure any of those folks "garnered fame". It's a bit too slick for my tastes, in the direction that the Globe factory would move ever further towards in the years after this release, but still has some appeal. 

All in all, a fun pair of songs from Sammy's early days. 






2 comments:

Stu Shea said...

Howdy! Thanks for posting.

I'm so glad we celebrate snow-covered presidents in the good ol' U.S.A.

"Jet Plane" is a lot of fun. Fits right in with the other good-time rockers in Sammy's canon.

The b-side? I agree with you that it's too slick. The lyrics sure go goth in the last verse.

xoxo

Giant Mines said...

Fun Sammy record, especially the a-side, thanks!