Sunday, October 25, 2020

Hallus "Slim" Sargent and His Friends on The Mustang Line

Hi, how are you?

Today, I have again corrected the posts for a month from the distant past, in this case, February of 2012. In that month, I shared a song-poem which contained a bit of direct plagiarism, a particularly incompetent Tin Pan Alley release, a Halmark record for Valentine's Day, and a typically moldy Film-City EP. 

Enjoy!

And now: 

Add caption

Today's feature is the first in quite a while from Gene Marshall. And "The Mustang Line" features what I find to be a fairly weird set of lyrics. For most of the lyric, the song-poet, one Hallus "Slim" Sargent, seems to be paying tribute to two friends he made on "The Mustang Line", in quite positive terms, going so far as to credit them from saving him from being "out in the cold". He mentions them by name, over and over again. Then suddenly, about 2/3rds of the way through, his lyric turns against them, telling them they "know where they can go", saying that he needs to break free of them and of The Mustang Line before they "cook my goose". 

Anyone have any idea what the hell is going on here? I'm assuming "The Mustang Line" is a car factory, producing Mustangs, but perhaps I'm wrong about that. If it's not, I have no idea what it might be.  

Any insight would be appreciated. And if you, like me, have none, well, just enjoy Gene's masterful singing and the asinine background vocal arrangement. 

Download: Gene Marshall - The Mustang Line

Play:  

The flip side is "Leave Me Well Alone", a four word phrase I'd personally not encountered before, at least not without the word "Enough" in between the last two words. However, a web search finds it to be common, so what do I know? 

Aside from that, it's a pretty standard "I'm fed up with you and want to write about it" song-poem, one of the many standard templates used by song-poets since the genre was invented. 

 Download: Gene Marshall - Leave Me Well Alone

Play:  


VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE VOTE!

Unless your candidate has an orange glow about him, in which case, please disregard. 

1 comment:

Scott1669 said...

Communism is for Lazy Chumps. Orange is my color.......