Sunday, February 26, 2012

Great Films, Great Tones!

As I write this, the annual Oscar telecast is in full swing. Assuming you read this post later, did you enjoy the show? Did you like the way they paid tribute to the world of Film? Did you think the show set the right Tone? Well, in the spirit of Film tributes and Tone setting, today I'm offering up a fairly wretched EP from our friends at the Film-Tone. Every Film-Tone EP I've found (and EP's seem to be the only thing they released), featuring a male/female trio singing with simple backing, often with the only credit being to arranger Vincent Poli, and this one is, of course, no exception. Sorry about the horrid quality of this record. I don't know if it was loved to death (which seems unlikely) or neglected to death, but it's sure scratched up. There's really not a lot of difference between the tracks here (in fact, three of the titles contain the same two word phrase, "My Heart"), although I'm a bit partial to track two, if only for its title. Rather than offer up a lot of pithy comments, I'll just rack 'em up, and count 'em down. Here's track one, "I Don't Want to Fall Out of Love With You". 

Download: Film-Tone Productions - I Don't Want to Fall Out of Love With You
Play:  

Next, the wonderfully named "I've Got a Hot Spot in My Heart for You": 


Side two kicks off with "The Blues Have Had My Heart": 


And we finish up with "The Song That Reached My Heart":


 

3 comments:

Stu Shea said...

I like how three of the four songs are written by people named "Smith," and that "Anna Smith" and "Mrs. Anna Smith" are both credited. Could Anna Smith be a man, and "Mrs. Anna Smith" be his wife? Oh, the possibilities.

Maybe it's a wi-fi hot spot.

Anonymous said...

And I've got YOU in my heart, Bob! Thanks for posting these!

JW said...

Just had to point out: this song was later done on Tin Pan Alley (or I'm assuming it was done after this version) by Johnny Williams in an absolutely kooky arrangement....and is on this very blog!

https://bobpurse.blogspot.com/2012/02/great-films-great-tones.html

Thanks again, Bob! As if I didn't already like both of these records - my mind is blown after making the connection just moments ago! I get goosebumps when stuff like this happens! I actually have a similar kind of phenomenon I'm going to post soon...as soon as I can get a scanner so that I can do a label scan! Stay tuned on that one.

Anyways, thanks again.....it's 7 in the morning in NYC and my mind is already blown! :D