Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Um.... Shouldn't That Be "Jigsaw Puzzle Heart"?

I've never been much for Crossword Puzzles. Jigsaw Puzzles, that's another story - I'm on perhaps my sixth jigsaw of the winter, and there must be at least 50 or so more in the basement, of varying shapes and sizes, as yet undone by me, waiting to see which of them will be next. So I was confused by the words of this song-poem. Because I know that Jigsaw Puzzles can break apart, sometimes with a bit of effort, but more often far too easily, and before you want them to. Aside from a jigsaw puzzle OF a crossword puzzle, I've never seen a Crossword Puzzle break apart, and I don't think that such a thing generally happens. And yet, that's the metaphor here - the writer's heart has been broken, "the pieces have fallen apart", just like a Cross Word Puzzle, leading to her "Cross Word Puzzle Heart". Um,.... okay. Regardless of all that, I do think that Cara Stewart, as she so often did, sounds just marvelous singing the song: 

Play:  

The flip side, "Why You Wanna Be Like That?", has a peppier beat, another great, warm vocal, and a genuinely terrible effort at fitting the rhythm of the words to the tune. To be fair, what can you do with a line like "Your Heart is not a Hat Rack" - however, putting the emphasis on the words "Your", "Is" and "Hat" just play up the clunkiness of the lyric. Let's all sing along!:

Play:  


1 comment:

Stu Shea said...

She's a wonderful singer doing awful material. But at least the slapback echo is first-rate.