Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Enchanting!

Today, I'm sharing my latest song-poem acquisition, an eBay special which just arrived in the mail a couple of days ago, by that up and coming group, "The Enchantments". It doesn't sound quite like anything I've shared up to this point, and it doesn't really sound like anything else I've heard on the Brite-Star and Bryte family of labels. 

Given that it appeared on Brite-Star, it's possible that this was a vanity release, but I'm guessing it's a song-poem. And I really enjoy the A-side, in which the Enchantments, driving home the point of their group name, sing about the "Enchanted Mountains". I really enjoy this bouncy tune, arrangement and performance, all of which sort of remind me of a more sedate version of Mitchell Torok's great 1950's hit, "Caribbean". I particularly like the guitar that's rambling around behind most of the vocal, and also the descending melody at the end of the chorus.

And of course, there is the genius of the song-poet, the incomparable Lad Senec. Here 'tis:

Play:  

The flip side, "All My Love" is not a primordial version of the Led Zeppelin hit, but rather another song in the style heard on the A-side. I don't find this one quite as enjoyable, but it's still a fun listen.

1 comment:

Timmy said...

On the song "All My love"; I can hear the ghosts of Flatt & Scruggs and perhaps Bill Monroe singing the Bluegrass version...