Monday, February 02, 2009

Perhaps Not the Worst Thing I've Ever Heard On a Vanity Record...

...but it's fairly close. Here are both sides of a record by Mr. Cal Andrews. I know virtually nothing about this, aside from the fact that it was released on Ink Records. I assume it was a vanity project, but I could be wrong. This was floating around in cyberspace one recent day, and I reached out and grabbed it. I got it just in time: the next day, the download was gone. 

The A side is titled "Sundown at Sea". I'm particularly fascinated by the drumming on this track: 

Play:  

The B side, my personal favorite of the two, is "O Sing to Me". On this track, what most catches my ear, even beyond the mind numbing singing, is the bass player, who appears to be under the impression that he is in a different song altogether: 

Play:  

My younger daughter shares my tastes. She was in the room when I opened and played "O Sing to Me" for the first time. She asked if she could have it on her iPod.... 

More song-poems coming on Thursday!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh good heavens, that's absolutely brilliant!

Sundown At Sea is spectacular, but perhaps not in the way it was intended.

Stuart Shea said...

not sure it edges out mr. husak.

Sammy Reed said...

"O Sing to Me" sounds a lot like that tape of Howard Cosell singing "I Left My Heart in San Francisco".

Timmy said...

Well, Cal... Cal is my new hero. Beatnick, Boss, Way Out, Fermenting my MIND!!! Mose Allison Aint got nuthin' on this dude. When ever anybod's gets d' blues, you jess tell 'em: Go Sing Cal, Go Sing Cal, Go Sing, CAAAAAALL.