Um, Um, Um, Um, Um, Um.....
With any luck, I think my hacking experience has been successfully addressed, but up until last night I still had to jump through hoops to put this together, so I have very little to say about today's offering, in order to get it out today and not have a one-post month.
For a brief period in the mid 1960's, Tin Pan Alley utilized the dubious talents of a singer they only identified as "Lance", usually just like that, in quotes. If you click on the Lance label below you can hear all of the "Lance" songs I've shared (along with the songs by Lance Hill - a different singer - that I've shared).
"Lance"'s extremely limited vocal talents are on full display on both of today's songs - his inability to accurately hit the correct pitch on more than a quarter of the notes sung is a wonder to behold. A random person off the street might well have done better.
Each of these songs feature the sort of cookie cutter lyrics that make so many song-poems sound like so many other song-poems. But "Let Me Hold You To My Heart", at the very least, features the drummer's interesting choice of imitating a freight train in the last few seconds.
Download: "Lance" - Let Me Hold You To My Heart
Play:
The flip side, "Lullaby of Love", starts with what sounds like a misreading:
"I used to often wonder why.... how strange.... things were to me"
That just incompetent on every level. From there on, the song actually has very sweet, , if deeply formulaic, lyrics. There's only so much to do with such a poem, but TPA did it no favors with the barely present musical backing and a singer who shouldn't be in the same zip code as this style.
Download: "Lance" - Lullaby of Love
Play:


No comments:
Post a Comment