Sunday, August 25, 2024

The Irishman, Johnny Williams

I am very excited whenever I can land a copy of another Johnny Williams Tin Pan Alley release. I find that most of his records have at least one side which is entertainingly ridiculous in one way or another. He doesn't appear to have worked for the label for very long, and I love his records so much that I'm already dreading the day when I realize that there may be no more new-to-me Johnny Williams records left to hear for the first time. 

Today's presentation - hot off the eBay marketplace and into my turntable - is no exception to what I just wrote: 

I hope that the song-poet behind "The Irishman" appreciated what he or she received. Hard to say what that writer might have expected, since the entire lyric is only eight lines long. The folks at Tin Pan Alley did their best to stretch it into roughly 90 seconds of music, via a lot of drumming and a guitar solo. In this way, it's much like one of my two favorite Johnny Williams' singles, "Chinkerincky". 

If anything, "The Irishman has even fewer lyrics than that classic, but Johnny Williams gives it his all, with an appropriately, and typically ridiculous vocal performance. I am not disappointed. 

Download: Johnny Williams - The Irishman

Play:

On the flip side is a real surprise. It's called "Shut Your Eyes and Court Her Again", and it's a tender lyric encouraging the practice of imagining one's lover as she was when you were newly in love. I found these words quite effective and touching. AND, it may be the only song poem I've ever heard to contain the word "bosom". 

Johnny Williams was, to my ears, not really capable of singing a slow and soft song with any technical skill, and I've mostly found his performances on such material to be anywhere from incompetent to cringeworthy. And he's not "good" here, either, but he sells it about as well as he was able, given those limitations, and at a certain level, he connects with the sweetness of the lyrics. 

And hey, doesn't the band sound, as heard here, seem to predict the 1960's sound of Sterling Records? That's kind of interesting, too. 

Play:
 

1 comment:

Stu Shea said...

I can't say I hold the same regard for these as you do, but that may be true of TPA records in general. Williams certainly gives his all and I enjoy the (possibly overactive) guitarist. Glad that you found this, and thanks for posting!