Sunday, August 13, 2023

LIVE FROM THE HOLIDAY INN LOUNGE! A REAL PRO!

It's been a busy couple of weeks here at song-poem central, and if I don't get this out today I probably won't for another week. So I'm not going to say much about these sides, in order to get y'all some music. 

Today's offering is another one of those early Cinema releases where the label's credited band, "The Real Pros" was actually one guy with one of them all-in-one home chord-and-rhythm accompaniment organs. And this is from the earliest days of Cinema, when they were also crediting each song-poet as a co-producer of his or her track, for some odd reason. 

As they have in the past, this guy's recordings on today's 45 put me in the mind of a particularly chintzy act, performing (in 1971, of course, when this record was produced) in the corner of a Holiday Inn Lounge, being ignored by roughly 90 of the 12 people present. 

And while I do adore some of the records this guy made (one of them is in my top five favorite song-poems ever), both of these sides leave something to be desired. "Where Has She Gone?" has a bit more energy and slightly less (very slightly) hackneyed lyrics, so we'll spin that one first. Have at it, dude!:

Download: The Real Pros - Where Has She Gone

Play:

I chose the word "hackneyed" up there on purpose, because... well, let's just say that if the dictionary came with sound file links, the word "hackneyed" might come with a clip of "Be the Girl of My Dreams". Our man at the organ has chosen equally dumbed down musical backing for this masterpiece. 

Download: The Real Pros - Be the Girl of My Dreams

Play:



 

4 comments:

Stu Shea said...

I like side A better, too. The second side is just dippy. Perhaps Gene Rose was a fourth-grader.

Thank you for posting these! I think it's the lowest catalog # for a Cinema 45 that's been found.

Sammy Reed said...

Actually, Discogs has 7101 listed!
https://www.discogs.com/release/15921244-The-Real-Pros-A-Habit-Forming-Drug-Until-Now

snoopy said...

The B side was pitiful! It's one thing to be lackluster, but to be so repetitive with that irritating juvenile hook is inexcusable! I would demand a refund on this one. Bleah!

Stu Shea said...

Thank you Sammy! Should have checked both sources. :|