Saturday, December 17, 2022

Re-Writing a Christmas Hit Song

Howdy, folks,

I haven't posted in almost two weeks, and there's a reason for that. In fact, for those of you who don't read my other blog, I will explain here that I need to acknowledge my most important news of the year. This past Saturday, my wonderful daughter Molly got married to the equally wonderful Sean. Here they are, stepping out into a swarm of bubbles, just after the ceremony: 


~~

I also have a little bit of housekeeping to do. Last time around, I shared a record on Preview by a singer whose name I couldn't find anywhere else in the song-poem world. Sammy Reed has posited, and quite rightly, I would say, that the singer identified as Terry Stillwell on "Santa's Visit" is the same person as the "Terri Wells" who sang the all time bizarro song-poem champ "My Doll Jane", another name that seemingly only appears once on the Preview label. Good ears, Sammy! You win a genuine imitation invisible facsimile! 

~~


For today's feature, "I Won't Tell On Santa", by Mickey Shore, I will basically say two things.

The first is that this is a new label for the blog, Star-Light. I believe this is the second record I've ever owned on this label. 

The other is that this is another example of the sort of song-poet behavior I simply don't understand. Close relatives of this type of record are the ones where someone simply submitted the lyrics to an existing song, claiming authorship. In this variation, Fred H. Smith took the subject matter of "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" and simply retold the story, using his own words but barely anything in the way of a new angle or other originality. Did he present this near-theft as his own work? Did no one say "hey, that same story was a hit song seven years ago"? I honestly don't get it. 

Play:

For the flip side, "The Little Pet Shop", someone at Star-Light took the time to go out and get some sound effect records of animals, and layered them over the track, which is more work and creativity than one finds on a lot of song-poem material, even if they did place them too high in the mix at times. 

2 comments:

Stu Shea said...

First off, congratulations again on the nuptials of your youngest. Just a lovely event.

At this time, according to a poster on 45cat, Ms. Shore (a/k/a Florence E. Schorle) was 36 years old. I never like adults putting on little kid voices, and this is sadly no exception. The b-side is more interesting to me because of what you point out: the randomness of the animal sounds over this somewhat sedate track.

Thank you for posting!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.