Monday, November 07, 2022

Couldn't Get Away

It's been many more days than I planned since I last updated the site, and I'll get right to it without a whole lot of words. I've just taken possession of two Rodd Keith preview 45's, both of which have fairly horribly damaged labels, yet each plays quite nicely. 

On this record, the clear winner of the two is the very hard to read "I Couldn't Get Away From Love", a mid-tempo lounge-ish number. The words are much, but some nice chords, really nice piano, a cool organ solo, and a winning vocal make up for any deficiencies in other areas. . 

Download: Rodd Keith - I Couldn't Get Away From Love

Play:

As for the other side, "I Left My Heart in Prayer", well..... "I Couldn't Get Away From Love" is nice. Seriously, this is as unctuous and bland as some Halmark releases I could name, and the backing track even resembles a Halmark track, to my ears, anyway. 

And I'm pretty sure that either "I Left My Heart in Prayer" is a typo, or the lyricist didn't know the difference between the spelling of "Left" and "Lift", as the title, as written, doesn't make any sense AND doesn't appear in the lyric. 

Download: Rodd Keith - I Left My Heart in Prayer

Play:



 

1 comment:

Stu Shea said...

Wow, I love the a-side. The backing singers add a lot. Also, the woman who wrote the song is named Melcania E. Bunk.

The b-side's drippy but at least professionally done and the track is not bad at all. Kept hoping that'd be Thurl on the backing vocal, but no.

Thanks for posting!