Friday, April 08, 2022

Maybe There Is No Fantasy


Today, as promised, I'm going back to back with Rodd Keith posts, since I hadn't shared any of his material in several months, prior to last week. This week's offering is a disc he shares with another singer, but we'll get to that in a moment. 

Rodd's side is titled "There Is No Maybe", and it's a record with a groovy mid-'60's midtempo thing, complete with verses that describe the hesitation on the part of the writer's sweetheart, leading into pre-chorus and chorus where the writer responds with the title phrase. The structure reminds me of some Neil Diamond records, although I suspect there hadn't been many of those, yet, to result in such an homage, when this record was made. 

Play:  
  
On the flip side, we have Nita Craig with "Fantasy". Presumably, Nita Craig is the same Nita who shows up on a handful of records by Rodd and Nita and by Bonnie and Nita. And while "Nita Craig" is only credited on two documented Preview sides, other singers named "Nita", with different last names, show up on about a dozen Preview singles. I'm guessing they're all by the same person. 

"Fantasy" is a 6/8 thing, loping along while Nita sings about imagining all the places she could go, and the backup singers doot-doot, ooh and aah, and answer her with the same thing she just said many times, in the manner than Preview would beat to death in the Gene Marshall era. And maybe it's just me, but this record seems to go on forever...

Play:


And now to my cut-up of the week. And again, if you're not familiar with these, check out the link to "cut-ups", below, and read the earlier posts. 

Almost all of the cut-ups I've shared thus far have been from the period when I was making these seemingly all the time, between 1981 and 1985. In 1985, I graduated from college, got my first job in my chosen career, and met my future wife, all in the space of three months, and time for goofing around with cassette recorders and records plunged to close to zero. So I didn't make any more cut-ups for close to 20 years, at which point I had a short period of doing all sorts of mash-ups and cut-ups with my then-new computer editing software. 

One of the handful of songs I did in this manner was "The Green Door" by Jim Lowe. If you don't know this record, first, you really should, in my opinion. It's one of my all time favorite hits, and surely one of my dozen or so favorite songs to hit # 1 in the USA, which it did in late 1956. If you don't know it, you can hear it here. A perfect record, with an absolutely indelible melody and unique sound - and apparently recorded in the artist's apartment!

Anyway, I had a lot more things to "drop in" by the early 2000's, including some words and sound effects from a CD-ROM game my children were playing at the time. I also made some use of tracks which had been shared in the 365 days project, which I had been a part of, from 2003. 

While there's nothing as aggressively off color in this one as there has been in some of the other cut-ups, there is one tame four letter word, and a few other things that, while not obscene, are probably not safe for work. 

Play:

4 comments:

Stu Shea said...

Hey, I like "There is No Maybe" a lot. Good melody, good track. It's the same track and same melodic construction, in fact, as Nita Craig's "I Have a Number," which was Preview 1341. There was a period in which Rodd's records had this particular backing vocal group--"My Pipe-Yellow Dream" comes to mind. After that, it seems like the Preview backing vocalists became whoever among Bonnie Graham, Teri Summers, Nita, and Rodd wasn't singing lead.

I'd forgotten about this cut-up. Several spit takes, including "parakeets," the 'knocked once' sound, and the harpsichord solo. THANK YOU!

Anonymous said...

4/9/22
For some time before I came across other song-poems that beat it out, "I Have a Number" was my pick for "best song-poem" as far as being able to pass for a legit song. Others have come along, but this still ranks up there. I do think that's a better fit for this music than the one Rodd did here.

I'd like to suggest the "Home of the Brave" series I found a few years ago about Charlotte Matheny (aka "Bonnie"). I like parts 4 & 5 since they also discuss Nita Garfield ("Nita"). The address is http://www.spectropop.com/HOTB/index.htm

Charlotte and Nita were 2 women who were forced to leave us too soon.

rock smith said...


Thanks for the link, there is also a fascinating picture of a birthday party with Charlotte and Nita and Rodd and soul singer Producer legend Leon Haywood. Rodd looks like he is in fancy dress, or was he that bizarre in real life?



https://spectropop.com/HOTB/HOTBpart4.htm

Sammy Reed said...

10/31/23:
It always happens. When I leave Blogspot, my comments get renamed "Anonymous".
Well, I'm back. So I hope to stay Sammy Reed for some time.
Yeah - "I Have a Number" is GREAT! And so was Nita Garfield.