Wednesday, March 30, 2022

The Return of Rodd

 Howdy, folks, 

For the first time, I have no updates, having completed that project, except for two lengthy tribute posts, last time around. 

And by chance, I found this week that somehow, I have gone since last fall without sharing a Rodd Keith record. I've had a few which seemed likely to feature his production magic in those ensuing months, but there have been no Rodd vocals on this site in months and months. So I'm going to feature Rodd for at least the next couple of post, or perhaps every other post. 

Part of the problem is that I'm running out of Rodd singles which I own, and which haven't been shared here or elsewhere, but there are still some left. And today, I have one of them, I will also return to sharing one of my cut-ups, after skipping that feature, the last time around: 


Today's Rodd 45 finds our man Keith in a country mood, and, if my perception of his vocal is correct, subtly mocking the genre, as he did from time to time when singing country-ish numbers. The backing track will surely be familiar to some of you, as it was used repeatedly on Preview 45's. 

This song, "I Love Him So", strikes me as oddly incomplete, starting a story and not really finishing it. It's the story of a blind boy and his lost dog. I can't think of too many story songs (or those that seem to be telling stories) that never actually complete the story, or even move it beyond the basic set-up, but that's what happens here. In addition, this record seems to go on forever, lasting a very un-song-poemish three minutes and 27 seconds. 

I will also acknowledge here that both sides of this record are beat to hell. Sorry about the poor sound. 

Play:

~~

The flip side finds us in more of a country-flavored pop setting, a song with the remarkably unwieldly title "You Are the One and Only One For Me". The song and backing band sound are pretty dang bland, but I do have a soft spot for what Rodd did with the (double Rodd) duo singing backup. 

Play:  

~~

And now, yet another "cut-up". This one was done in tandem with my best pal Stu, way back around late 1982. In this case, we turned Elvis' "Jailhouse Rock" into "The Big Boy Rock", with lots of references to food (among other things), much of those taken from the Big Boy ad that you can hear in its original version near the end of this post, which I contributed to the 365 days project way back in 2003. 

By the way, a couple of the drop-ins are from private recordings that Stu and I had access to, including the first one, "restaurant", which came from one of my own songs. 

And again, I will mention that this is not safe for work, on account of a single four letter word early in the cut-up. 

Download: Elvis Presley - Jailhouse Rock (cut-up)

Play:

No comments: