Saturday, May 09, 2020

Brother Gone in San Jose

Greetings!

I have just completed refurbishing yet another month's worth of song-poem posts, in this case, April of 2013. That month's posts included a one-hit-non-wonder on Tin Pan Alley, a Chicago Cubs-related 78 on Stylecraft, another 78, this one a Globe acetate, featuring both Sammy Marshall and a really nice entry from Kris Arden, and a patriotic entry from Rod (Keith) Rogers on Film City. 

Plus, here's yet another song-poem ad, about as simple as they come, found and shared by Brian Kramp:



In the waning days of the Tin Pan Alley label, all of the songs were turned over to a band called "New Image", and they appear on the final few (documented) releases on the label, dominating perhaps the last 200 releases (I'm guessing here, as only a few dozen from this period have actually been documented, all of which are by New Image). 

The sound doesn't differ much from what the label had been putting out, for the most part, since the early '70's at least - a tiny combo with a somewhat tinny sound, playing largely blues-related three and four chord numbers, in this case with a female singer who emotion-laden vocals make it clear that she was invested in the process, but whose actual ability is not always up to the task. 

I rather enjoy "Gorgeous Day in San Jose". It's as basic as they come, but the singer's voice appeals to me (as this singer often does), and the melody is simple but effective. I am quite taken with the writer credit - "Brother Gone" - and wish I knew the story there. 

Play:  


For the flip side, "Little Church in the Valley", the composers at Tin Pan Alley (and the members of New Image) made the interesting choice to pair the thankful and religious lyrics offered by the song-poet with a set of bluesy chords and a progression which are typical of pleading, often sexually frank songs of love, whether wanted, fulfilled or gone wrong. It's a weird mashup to my ears.

Download: New Image - Little Church in the Valley
Play:


3 comments:

Stu Shea said...

Both sides are played and sung with some guts to the sound. The words are really a poor match, IMO, to both sides. I prefer A, but B has its moments. Thanks for posting!

Timmy said...

I've always loved this band, ever since a few years ago that that other web-site, "music from a strange bazarr" ran by some friend of yours, Bob, began posting their music. They sound somewhat like Patti Smith meets the Velvet underground to me. Anyways, even though these two cuts are not up to their best standards, the feeling is still there. That lead vocalist is a hard core pro, in my book. What the hell do I know?

Sammy Reed said...

I know that "Music from the World of the Strange and the Bizarre" is a mouthful, so it's okay. Thanks for the mention!
Anyway, let's give credit where it's due: It was Bob's posting of "Pride" by New Image on this blog that got the ball rolling as far as the group having an online presence. It led to me buying those 45's I have and posting them.
"Some friend of his"? I don't know if he likes that association, but hey. I do tend to hear quite a bit of stuff here - including this 45, which isn't the moving rock music I prefer by them, but I think is jammin' nonetheless.