Saturday, July 20, 2019

Trips to the Moon, With Gene Marshall, Part Two

Well, today is the day! My younger daughter turns 26 today! Yippee!!!

Wait, while that's true, it's not why I'm posting a set of special themed records this month and, particularly, today. Today, in case you've been melting and not able to pay attention, is the 50th anniversary of the day that a human first walked on the moon.



 And as promised last week, here we have part two of our Gene Marshall triple play, all about travels to the moon. And apropos of today's anniversary, the title of the song is "Footsteps on the Moon".

Admittedly, this is far from the most exciting or even interesting record that I've ever shared here (or even that I've shared this month), but I think given the magnitude of the event and the anniversary, it's the perfect song-poem for today. Sing it, Gene!

Download: Gene Marshall - Footsteps on the Moon
Play:

On the flip side is a brief record  - "I Can't Make You Cry" - that I find fairly peculiar, lyrically. The writer (and of course, Gene, is his vocal) is despairing that his beloved is far too young to be in love with him, the tell-tale sign being that he can't make her cry. I guess I'm trying to picture how young a young woman would be who doesn't periodically cry, or who is unable to cry in response to something done by a boyfriend. And even if such a person exists, why is that the deciding factor for the writer?

By the way, the sudden increase in volume at 1:24 is not something I did. The record plays like that.

Download: Gene Marshall - I Can't Make You Cry
Play:


2 comments:

Ed said...

Hey BP are you aware of this Thurl-sounding tune Dying For A Dry Martini that Uncle Floyd played on his show on Sunday.. It's at 16 minutes into the stream at this link... https://wfdu.streamrewind.com/bookmarks/listen/266717/uncle-floyd-s-garage-sale-music

Stu Shea said...

These are among the most convoluted, weird lyrics I've heard, and that's saying something in the song-poem world. I love how he makes meaning out of this corned beef hash. What a great singer.
Thanks for posting!!