Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Born Loser

Looks like it's been just over six months since I featured Gene Marshall, and I must rectify that! 
 

I think maybe I've just been a bit overwhelmed by the sheer number of Gene Marshall records in my collection that I haven't shared, as well as the fact that, well, most of them are exceedingly bland, musically, often despite the typically masterful vocal work by our man Gene. The records made for Preview after Rodd moved over to MSR, as well as the records that Gene made for other labels, under multiple names, are usually lacking that something special that I try to feature here as often as possible. The exceptions from that era and those other labels are usually the result of something outstanding or weird about the lyrics themselves. 

Nothing stands out about the lyrics of "Born Loser", but man, do I love the bluesy backing the band is providing here, almost undoubtedly with a major assist, if not with the whole arrangement from, Rodd Keith. The interplay of the guitarist and the keyboard is compelling - and those keyboard fills are absolutely magical - and the drumming is as excellent as it usually was in this area of the Preview label. Gene's reading of the lyric is a bit more workmanlike than it is on many of the records I've shared here, and a couple of the embellishments don't land quite right, but that's only a deficit in terms of comparison to Gene's best work - he still sounds great. 

Download: Gene Marshall - Born Loser

Play:

On the flip side, we have the far more generic "Loving Each Other". The band - again, especially the guitarist and pianist - are doing some nice stuff, but in the service of a bland arrangement of a bland song. Oddly, I actually find Gene's vocal to be stronger here than on "Born Loser" but only by a matter of a few degrees, and that certainly doesn't make me like this side better. Nope. The whole thing is over in 109 seconds. 

Download: Gene Marshall - Loving Each Other

Play:



 

3 comments:

Sammy Reed said...

When I saw "Born Loser", I was hoping for another version of that Norm Burns song. Gene woulda been GREAT with that!

Stu Shea said...

Thanks for posting, Bob. The band is indeed top-flight. Side A, which I liked better as well, reminds me in some ways both of "Prayer for Jamey" and "I'm Just the Other Woman." Side A is good material; B is average material made better by the arrangement.

Timmy said...

Gene Marshall is treading a new low here. Thank god this was captured on vinyl.