Saturday, September 09, 2023

Hurt Me! Hurt Me! I'm Sure! No Way!

I offer apologies to Moon Unit Zappa, but her lyrics seemed too good to pass up with regard to today's offering: 


On the first side, we have the queen of MSR records, Bobbi Blake, or, as she was known in the early days of the label, Bobbi Boyle, with a request for some pain - well, at least psychic pain - in a slightly countrified setting, one which reminds me at several moments of one of my favorite song poems, Dick Kent's "In Loving Is the Doing". Not surprising, as that record's label number was barely 20 releases later. Bobbi Blake offers up her typically solid vocal performance, but after four or more listens, I'm still not sure I understand what is exactly being asked for, or why. Maybe the concept is just too foreign to me...

Play:

The flip side of this record is credited to Nancy Cole, a singer credited on only two documented MSR records. I do not recognize this vocalist - maybe someone out there does? She's competent enough, and the makers of smooth music provided a fairly catchy tune for the lyricist's work, which has the unwieldy title "This Little Fool Has Had Her Fill of You". However, the words are almost comically artless, featuring very direct descriptions of wrongs done. And there is only so much you can do fit lyrics which don't fit the same pattern into a repeating melody, so Nancy sometimes has to quickly squeeze in extra words, and other times she has to stretch out lines such as "You Treat Me Like Dirt" over several beats. 

Play:




1 comment:

Stu Shea said...

Well, I'm not sure what Bobbi B. is singing about either. It's kind of a slog because there's no progression in it, lyrically or musically. Side B appeals to me a bit more--it's so damn unsingable, as you say.
Thanks for posting!!