Monday, July 10, 2023

Gene's Mammie


I had great hopes. 

When I saw the title of this mid-to-late period Preview record by Gene Marshall, I dared to hope that a record called "Our Mammie" might be something special. Then, I was lucky enough to win it on eBay for the princely sum of $6.00. Plus shipping. I hoped it would be worthy of presenting in this forum. 

I had no idea. 


For those of you who have heard "Green Fingernails", you know what you thought and felt when you heard the big finish of the verse, where Gene sings "You make me sick"? I think this is weird on that same level. If anyone can tell me what song-poet Edna Templeton was on about here, specifically the last line of her poem, please let all of us know. It's off the charts odd, at least to these ears. 

And I think that's all I'll say. 

Play:

The flip side, "Special Feeling", isn't really much to write home about as a song, but that would be almost too much to ask for a flip side of a song like "Our Mammie". However, I will give a shout-out to the guitarist, who clearly thinks he's playing on a much better record than this one. Then again, the missed chord at 0:47 wouldn't have been left on a much better record. It's also in although interesting enough, I think, that this was also written by a woman named Edna. \

 

4 comments:

Sammy Reed said...

I never heard a Preview song that ended during the fadeout, until now.

Stu Shea said...

Interesting that there are long, unfilled 'solo' sections on both sides. I'd love to know who played on this era's Preview releases...

Thanks for posting. I wonder if side A is about a cow.

Marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marie said...

Or perhaps a goat? 😆 (since they have "kids")