Sunday, May 07, 2023

A Little Latin Supper Club Music From Tin Pan Alley

Howdee, 

As the name of the post indicates, today, we have the good folks at Tin Pan Alley, providing a Latin-esque track which actually reminds me much more of the sort of supper club track that Sterling might have turned out (although the instrumental lineup there would have been a bit different), perhaps one backing up Norm Burns. At least it sounds more similar to that than it does to what I'm used to from this period (or any period) of TPA. 

Anyway, here we have Cathy Mills, with a rather winning vocal, singing "That Flower", which features some lyrics which, in my hearing, are just a few steps on this side of Risqué, what with the singer referring to a flower which is opening her buds and references to "what we're doing". I also find the lyrics confusing: oddly, at times she seems to be referring to herself as the flower, but then repeatedly says that the flower is her beloved. 

Then there is this exceptionally poorly constructed lyric: 

"And if you know why

If you're still wondering why" 

Huh? Maybe someone out there will parse this for me for effectively. 

Download: Cathy Mills - That Flower

Play:

On the flip side, we have yet another song title which would vie for the title of "The Quintessential Song-Poem Title", specifically, "My Sad Heart". I don't find there to be anything here to interest me, unfortunately. Perhaps you'll find it more entertaining. 

DownloadL Cathy Mills - My Sad Heart

Play:


 

2 comments:

Stu Shea said...

Despite the goofy lyrics, the a-side is winning stuff. I like the way she sings and the somewhat clunky cha-cha samba is a lot of fun. Side B put me to bed.

Thank you for posting!!!

Bob said...

Hi Bob,
I wonder if by any chance you have one of these two elusive records on Tin Pan Alley recorded by Carmen Taylor :

TIN PAN ALLEY
?? 55....TPA-127....CARMEN TAYLOR AND ORCHESTRA..Really True/TPA-128....It Takes Two
?? 55....TPA-129....CARMEN TAYLOR AND ORCHESTRA..You Never Really Loved Me/TPA-130....Love Is Everything

I can't find these anywhere, not even a label shot. Not sure if they are song-poems tough.

Cheers