Monday, February 28, 2022

Fables from Sandy Stanton

Happy End of February!

I don't have a lot of time this week, so I'll be brief. 

I only had time to overhaul two of my previous posts, but that does leave with less than a dozen posts to fix, going forward. In this case, they were both from September of 2005. One featured two obscure singles from a favorite 1950's duo of mine, Patience and Prudence, and the other was an acetate featuring some very homely sounding violin playing

And now: 


Every now and then, I like to try and feature the Fable Label, which is sort of iffy with regard to a series called "Song Poem of the Week", because Fable releases went from song-poem to vanity release to attempts at legit hits almost throughout the run of the label. 

For today, though, I'm fairly sure these are song poems. Both are country flavored pieces warbled by label owner Sandy Stanton (with the "Fable Chorus" according to the label).

First up is "Time Has No End", which, despite having come out in 1958, sounds to me more like and early 1950's country release. One with some fairly cookie cutter country lyrics, but a rather lovely backing track. 

Play:

The flip side has the unwieldy title "Don't Play With My Heart Like a Toy", and it features a country-ish vocal over a fairly standard late 1950's rock-a-ballad setting. The presence of the moment where Sandy's voice breaks - well, more the fact that they didn't do another take - is another indication to me that this is a song-poem record. 


~~

And now, as has been my habit since I was requested to do so, I am featuring another of my early 1980's "Cut-Ups". I think this one is one of the most inspired that I did, and it has a theme running through it, as you'll hear. 

And it all came from the fact that the song in question, "Blue Eyes" by Elton John, could be reworked nicely if I replaced the title phrase with the many different ways that George Carlin said "Blue Food" in one of his recorded routines. 

I hope you enjoy it. 

Play:

No comments: