Sunday, March 31, 2019

Yours Cruelly, Mrs. Suds

Well, I haven't been posting much, what with a quadrennial visit from the accreditors, and the unexpected need to replace my car as quickly as possible. Hasn't left much time to do a lot of other things. And there still isn't a lot of time now, so although I'd hoped to respond to a couple of questions today, that will have to wait until next time.

As a reward for your patience, I'm going to offer up a full song-poem album, one that is so new-to-me that I haven't actually had a chance to listen to it yet - in fact, if there are glitches here, please let me know, because I literally didn't have the time to listen to this while the file was being created, or to the file, once it was done.

With one exception.

I bought this album despite the facts that I 1.) have almost no patience for the output of the Columbine label, and 2.) very rarely find anything to enjoy in the work of Kay Weaver, who dominates this album. And the reason I did, as soon as I saw it on eBay, was the presence of the song title you see up there at the top of this post, "Yours Cruelly, Mrs. Suds". I HAD to hear what that was.

And so, here is it. It does not disappoint.The lyrics do not contain the title phrase, and are instead concerned with the narrator of the lyrics seeking a "1-1-8". My friend Stu found a reference to this phrase meaning "drunk", and that could certainly be the meaning here, judging from the remainder of the lyrics. Lee Scott, in her only vocal on the album, gives a full bodied reading of those lyrics. And oh, those lyrics. Someone is having an issue with alcohol, and it doesn't sound like the rest of his life (the lyricist is male) is going that well either. I'll let you experience the joys of this song for yourself - it's certainly one of the more esoteric song-poems I've heard in recent months. Or years. And that may well be my favorite song-poem title phrase ever.

Download: Lee Scott - Yours Cruelly, Mrs. Suds
Play:

And now, for your edification and enjoyment, the entire album. "The Now Sounds of Today" (which is the name of virtually every Columbine album), edition CRH - 81:


Again, I have not listened to these, so you all are actually going to get the chance to enjoy this collection before I do. As was often the case, the good (?) folks at Columbine included two public domain songs that nearly everyone would know, in order to make this look like a legitimate release. Kay Weaver handles 16 of the 18 tracks, with Ralph Lowe and the aforementioned Lee Scott each handling one. Enjoy!

Play:

Play:




4 comments:

Stu Shea said...

As you say, the title is truly incredible, and does give us a hint that it's about alcohol. But then you'd think that since a guy wrote it, they'd have a guy sing it, right?!?!?

Thanks for posting. I have a feeling I'll be returning to this song out of sheer incredulity.

Timmy said...

ALL of these offerings are beautiful! just great... Many Thanx.

Sammy Reed said...

4/5/19:
I'd like to mention that in my latest "Music from the World of the Strange and the Bizarre" post, a complete "Music of America" album, there's a song that uses an updated version of the background music used in the Halmark song you posted, "Everybody Wanna Dance!". I have a link to that in my post.

https://strangemusicworld.blogspot.com/2019/04/music-of-america-har-60.html

Keep up the great work!

JW said...

The Lee Scott song is great! Oddly enough, I detect a tape edit right after she says "1-1-8"....perhaps there was a breakdown or mistake or something and they had to pick it up from there? Who knows, maybe my ear was playing tricks on me. Anyways, that's the kind of payoff you want on a song-poem purchase, congratulations....and (as always) thank you!