Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A One Sided Acetate... How Noval


I'm a little late this week, due to some connectivity problems, among other things - I hope to be back on an end-of-the-week/weekend schedule in another couple of days.

Meanwhile, here's the only item in my collection that fits this particular description: It's a one-sided acetate on the Noval Records label. There's no artist named, but that's not unusual, as Noval never named the artists on their records. They did bother to credit the arranger, and as always just put his first name, in this case "Jay".

As far as the material, well, this is not a demo version of a Noval record. It sounds like a demo, but so did all of their releases, and this one is no exception. To me, the structure of the song most closely resembles that of "The 23rd Channel", with a bridge section in particular sounding like a rewrite of the bridge of that record.

The stunning thing about this record is that the "sweetest dream" of the title is, if I'm understanding them correctly, that the singer has now learned that she is to die soon, and will be seeing God soon. If you think I have that wrong, please chime in.

Download: No Artist Named - The Sweetest Dream
Play:

3 comments:

Unknown said...

awesome music!

Sammy Reed said...

Just wanted to say, my show is back!
sammyreed.com/strange
Now - This is kindof a sticky thing for me to chime in on. It's obvious her dream is about the time when she dies and goes to Heaven. Whether there's anything wrong with that is another discussion altogether.

Bryan Harwell said...

Yes, I believe you're right about the sweetest dream. This person is either old or terminally ill. If not, then this is a serious case of depression.