Saturday, December 08, 2012

A Very Shelly Christmas


Today, in addition to sharing another Christmas song-poem here, I'm also preparing a whole set of the same, which will appear at WFMU's blog tomorrow. That being the case, time to blather on is virtually non-existent, so I'll just share that the offering for this week features Shelley Stuart, one of the secondary acts at Sterling Records, singing (appropriately, I guess) in a rather girlish voice about "A Ride On Santa Claus' Sleigh": 

Download: Shelley Stuart and the Five Stars - A Ride on Santa Claus' Sleigh
Play:

If it weren't for the Christmas theme I'm employing this month, this record's flip side would absolutely have been the first one featured. It is the better of the two songs, it features a personal favorite of mine, Norm Burns, and most of all, it's got a downright weird construction - very rare for a song poem - in that it has an unusual and creative chord progression that shows up at the beginning and the end of the record. It's a little thing, and quite short, but it's sort of startling. And since that progression doesn't appear anywhere in the vocal part of the record, it is in a sense superfluous - the fact that they added it  is evidence of the need to find a creative outlet, even when doing something that is often hackwork. Have a listen to "Let That Little Girl Dance":

Download: Norm Burns and the Five Stars - Let That Little Girl Dance
Play:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Let That Little Girl Dance"! Ha!!! Love Norm on this. Love the guitar and piano solos too. Get down with your bad self, gentleman!

It's so funny how every Christmas song ever recorded always quotes "Jingle Bells", usually in the intro!

KL from NYC said...

First, thanks for this one.

Second: I had a Rodd Keith mp3 (most likely from you) from a very touching poem written by a mother who lost her son to drugs. I'm pretty sure it was a B-side on Preview, and I did have it, but I can't find it.

The melody was very pretty, and much better than Rodd's hack stuff.

Do you recall this one?
Thanks again.

(BTW, I love leaving comments for all the music bloggers, but I hate proving that I'm not a robot -- half the time I can't read the numbers and/or the letters.)