Monday, April 11, 2016

Cleverer Than the Av-Er-Age Song Poet!


When listening to a stack of song-poems, the majority of which, I assure you, are wholly uninspired both lyrically and musically, it's nice to come across something unexpected. One of the nicer things to stumble upon is a song for which the song-poet tried to write something creative and a little bit clever.

Such is the case with today's Gene Marshall feature, "Love's End". Plenty of song-poets went for "clever", few that I've heard succeeded as well as does Elsworth J. Leach, here. This is not award winning stuff, but it did bring a smile to my face. I'll not say any more...

Download: Gene Marshall - Love's End
Play:

The flip side, "What Good Are the Laws?" is, as the title suggests, a complaint against some of the many things that are wrong in the world, and just as enjoyable as that description suggests, despite another warm, winning vocal from Gene Marshall.

Download: Gene Marshall - What Good Are the Laws?
Play:


3 comments:

Stu Shea said...

Not much on the B side, but the A is very creative! At first, I thought this was going to be a peppy little number about dressing up one's love for burial, but I'm glad it was a little bit more "up" then that. These 1970/71 Gene Marshall "slightly funky" records are a really interesting subgenre. Thanks!

Timmy said...

Absolutely CLASSIC. BOTH sides are primo, my man...

radioman said...

.. and there was me thinking it might be about a blow-up doll.