Monday, March 02, 2015

Roll Out the Belly! We'll Have a Belly of Fun!


Every now and then, a song poem song title comes along that is so good, or so ridiculous, or so inexplicable, that I have to share it, even if the record itself isn't all that good.

All that said, I think there are enough things about today's record to make it worth a listen or two, anyway. But how could it possibly approach the promises of a title like "Beer Belly Polka".

I do enjoy the stretched-beyond-reason rhyme of "Iota" with "Polka", and the fact that no one on Earth would hear this track and say that it was a polka record. And of course, Gene Marshall sells it like it's the next "American Pie".

Everyone Polka!

Download: Gene Marshall: Beer Belly Polka
Play:

The flip side is called "Darling", and contains lyrics just as imaginative as that title. The main attractions here are the way the staff writers at Preview strung those not-particularly-musical lyrics into a haphazard melody, and the way that Gene Marshall - no doubt sight reading - still managed to make it sound like those notes were supposed to be strung together, and that he knew where the melody was going.

Download: Gene Marshall: Darling
Play: 3


5 comments:

Sammy Reed said...

Leave it to the guy who gave us a song about a didgeridoo with no didgeridoo (#10 of http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2009/09/songpoem-archived-music-volume-8-the-fruit-of-selfcontrol.html), and a song about rappin' with no rappin' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoAGRwUO4wA), to give us a polka that isn't a polka.

Timmy said...

God loves me, he must, because he sent me all these WONDERFUL & OBSCURE tunes to keep me in bliss... And, no, I'm STILL not a robot.

martinf said...

any chance to reup these files as the diveshare-links still dont work?

Bob Purse said...

Hi,

Thanks for stopping by, and for asking. I'm still trying to decide what to do. I will replace them all, some time, somehow, but currently, Divshare's website only allows for one upload at a time - the site literally goes to a white screen if you try to upload even two at a time. And I'm not sure I want to trust them again, anyway.

So I have to decide if I want to wait until their site works correctly, or choose another site.

Thanks again,

Bob

Anonymous said...

7/15/19:
I'm glad that you're fixing pre-"Divshare problem" posts now, including this one!