Thursday, November 20, 2014

Halmark Before Halmark, Part Two


Here, as the promised follow-up to last Sunday's post, are the other two Chapel Recording Company acetates. You can read more information about these records, and see a truly amazing scam letter that came with one of them here.

The third acetate contains a song called "Hold His Promises to Your Heart". This has considerably better sound on the vocal than did the first two records I shared on Sunday, and the backing track (one I'm not absolutely sure I've heard before) is very clear, compared with the sound of many later Halmark releases.

Download: No Artist Named (Chapel Recording Company) - Hold His Promises to Your Heart
Play:

Finally, there is "Fallow Ground". This one is built on one of my favorite Halmark backing tracks (again, sounding nice and clean here) - a big booming, bombastic opening that gives way to what passes for a soulful arrangement in the Halmark universe. They didn't use this track as often as many of their other records, but I'm always glad to here it. And again, the megaphone from Sunday's tracks seems to have been retired for this track, as well.

Download: No Artist Named (Chapel Recording Company) - Fallow Ground
Play:


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My mother had one of these records made back in the 70's. It was titled 'A Poem For A Tired Mother' (I suppose I was a rather difficult child ;) The address at the time was Ted Rosen, 17 Longwood Road, Quincy, MA 02169. Somewhere I still have the record. They made it into a country song with a female soloist.